As the son of a Marine, I hold members of the United States Armed Forces in the highest esteem. I consider it an honor and a privilege to nominate outstanding young Montanans to compete for an appointment to the United States Service Academies. Because making nominations is one of my most important responsibilities, I have assembled an Academy Selection Board to review the applications and interview each candidate. The board members weigh each decision very carefully and take many factors into consideration, as they provide recommendations to me on the nominations.
To assist with this process, I ask candidates to submit a comprehensive application that documents their academic, civic and athletic abilities, as well as their commitment to military service. Additionally, you will be required to appear before my Academy Selection Board in December in Helena, Montana.
Although I will receive many applications from well-qualified Montanans, I am only able to accommodate a small percentage of them with a nomination. You must use the application process as a means to showcase your talents and abilities in order to excel in an extremely competitive process. To submit the best application possible, I encourage you to begin the process early. I will start accepting applications on April 1st and will continue to accept them through November 1st. My intent is to give you ample time to collect the necessary transcripts and letters to take the SAT and/or ACT tests well in advance of the application deadline.
If you are interested in applying for one of my nominations for high school seniors graduating in 2023, please complete the application below and ensure the application package is received by my Academy Nomination Coordinator in Missoula, no later than November 01, 2022. All completed packages must be submitted by US Mail with no signature required. An exception is made only for those students living outside the United States who are on their parent’s military orders showing Montana as their home of residence.
Submitting Your Application:
- 2022 U.S. Service Academy Nomination Application Checklist. View and Print Here.
- Signed cover letter
- Online application form, printed and signed. View and print here.
- Recent wallet-size photo of yourself
- Resume with the following headings: Non-athletic Activities, Athletic Activities, Awards & Honors, and Employment History (include leadership positions in each category)
- Official copy of high school transcripts
- Official copy of college transcripts (if applicable), include current course schedule
- Two (2) letters of recommendation, which are no longer than one (1) page.
- Copy of SAT and ACT test scores
- MILITARY DEPENDENTS living outside of Montana must provide the military parent’s current rank and duty information and proof of Montana Residency (Home of Record, Tax information, Voter Registration, or etc.)
Before you do anything else, be sure that you have contacted the academies to which you wish to apply. Once you have informed the admissions office of your interest, officials there will establish a candidate file for you to keep track of your application materials. Please keep in mind that a nomination is only one part of the admissions process and you must have an open candidate file prior to the interview in December to receive a nomination. You will also need to submit application materials directly to the academies and report for physical and medical evaluations. For more information about the academy of your choice, feel free to visit the links below.
www.cga.edu (US Coast Guard Academy, New London, CT) *
* A congressional nomination is not needed for admittance into the US Coast Guard Academy. You are required to apply directly with Coast Guard Academy.
Eligible applicants must be:
- unmarried citizens of the United States with no dependents and;
- regulations of the academies require nominees to be permanent residents of and domiciled in the state of the nominating Senator. Applicants must be at least 17 years old, but not passed their 23rd birthday on the first of July of the year they wish to be admitted, and must be unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents. (The marriage and age requirements vary for the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
Please note: A nomination through any authority does not guarantee acceptance into a service academy. It is advisable to request a nomination from both of your United States Senators, your United States Representative, and the Vice President of the United States. I make it a point to confer with my fellow members of the delegation to be sure that as many young Montanans as possible are given the opportunity to attend the service academies.
Remember These Dates:
March 15, 2022: Begin watching your school bulletins and this web site for Service Academy Days to learn more about the Academies.
April 01, 2022: Application Acceptance for Service Academy Nominations Begins
June 01, 2022: Suggested date to have taken the SAT or ACT
November 01, 2022: All application material for a Service Academy Nomination must have been received in my Missoula Office.
December 05, 2022: The Academy selection board convenes to conduct individual in person interviews of candidates and makes recommendations for nominations for the entering class of 2022. All applicants receiving my nomination will be notified of a decision shortly thereafter.
As you can see, those wanting admission to the United States Service Academies have a great deal of information and tasks to complete. My staff and I want to be available to assist you in this process by answering questions, giving advice, and accommodating emergencies to the best of our abilities. Please refer all correspondence, questions, and concerns to my Helena office.