Help With A Federal Agency

If you can’t get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, my office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and deserved response to your problem.


Please note: The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual’s case.

We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request.

Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:

  • Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
  • Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;


Please Note: If your request is in regards to a problem with the Internal Revenue Service, please also print and fill out this form.

In order to better serve you, please fill out the form below, sign and mail to my office:

U.S. Senator Steve Daines
222 N. 32nd Street, Suite 100
Billings, MT 59101


My office can help you if:

  • You are a Montana resident. If you are a resident of another state, please contact your U.S. Senators or U.S. Representative.
  • Your problem is with a federal government agency or program.

What my office can do:

  • Help you communicate with federal agencies
  • Request information or a status report on your case
  • Request that an agency consider or reconsider your case
  • Submit an inquiry with a federal agency on your behalf
  • Assist with applying for benefits, such as Social Security or Medicare
  • Help you obtain basic information from a federal agency

What my office cannot do:

  • Force a federal agency to act in your favor or speed up your case
  • Provide legal advice or recommend an attorney
  • Provide help with Bureau of Prisons casework
  • Overturn or influence matters involving private businesses
  • Assist in personal matters an employee is having with their employer. Issues of this nature must be resolved through their employers human resource office.
  • Intervene with state issues. My office cannot overturn or influence matters under the jurisdiction of local or state governments. If your issue involves state or municipal agencies, please contact your state legislators or contact the state agency directly. 
  • Intervene with judicial issues. My office cannot legally get involved with pending litigation, including questions about criminal trials or imprisonment, child custody issues, deportation proceedings and civil lawsuits. My office cannot overturn or in any way influence a court’s decision.


Print This Form

Please print, sign, date, and mail it to the address shown on the document. Please include any other documents or materials that you think would help my office help you.