U.S. SENATE – U.S. Senator Daines helped introduce a bill to assist Montana children subjected to dangerous and potentially irreversible gender-transition procedures seek justice in court.
“The Left’s radical gender ideology is harming our children and leaving them with physical and mental damage. Gender-transition procedures are irreversible and potentially life-threatening – medical personnel who perform these procedures on minors must be held accountable for their medical malpractice. I’m glad to stand with my colleagues against the lifelong effects of these debilitating experiments on our kids and the doctors who perpetrate the politics of gender ideology through their profession,” Daines said.
Senator Daines joined Senators Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), and James Lankford (R-Okla.) in introducing this bill. Representative Jim Banks (R-Ind.) is leading companion legislation in the House of Representatives.
The full text of the “Protecting Minors from Medical Malpractice Act” may be found here.
The Protecting Minors from Medical Malpractice Act would:
- Create a private right of action allowing people who had gender-transition procedures performed on them as minors to sue the medical practitioner who performed the procedure.
- Allows victims or their legal guardian to sue for declaratory or injunctive relief, compensatory damages, and attorney’s fees
- Provides a 30-year statute of limitation after the age of majority
- Gender-transition procedures include puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and surgical procedures that change an individual’s body in order to align with an identity at odds with an individual’s biological sex
- Applicable to procedures performed after the date of passage of this legislation
- Clarify that federal law cannot be construed to force medical practitioners to offer such procedures.
- Prohibit federal health funds from going to states that force medical practitioners to perform gender-transition procedures.
The legislation is supported by the American Principles Project, Heritage Action, Family Policy Alliance, Family Research Council, Independent Women’s Forum, Concerned Women for America Legislative Action Committee, Ethics and Public Policy Center, Alliance Defending Freedom, ForAmerica, Eagle Forum, CHANGED Movement.