U.S. SENATE —U.S. Senator Steve Daines today slammed Democrats for attempting to expand Obamacare in the COVID-19 relief package. The Obamacare expansion will cost over $40 billion and is a stepping stone towards a government takeover of healthcare.
“Obamacare has been a disaster for Montana and is too expensive for most Americans. Despite this, Biden, Schumer and Pelosi are attempting to throw more taxpayer dollars toward it and inch closer to a complete government takeover of healthcare. What’s worse is that the Democrats are trying to trick Montanans and the American people into accepting this by disguising it as ‘COVID relief,’” Daines said. “This liberal dream is a billions of dollars giveaway to health insurance companies and encourages more employers to drop their job-based plans altogether. Montanans and the American people deserve better.”
Daines’ filed an amendment to completely strike this funding from the COVID-19 relief package, which the Congressional Budget Office estimates will cost over $40 billion. Specifically, Daines’ amendment would remove the below provisions:
- Section 9661: Increases Obamacare subsidies for people who already have insurance and removes the income cap so high-income earners can qualify for subsidies through the end of 2022.
- CBO estimates this provision would increase federal deficits by $34.2 billion over the 2021-2030 period.
- Section 9662: Removes the requirement that people repay any overpayments of health insurance subsidies to the IRS for the 2020 tax year.
- CBO estimates this provision would increase federal deficits by $6.3 billion over the 2021-2030 period.
- Section 9663: Creates a new Obamacare entitlement for unemployed individuals to receive 100% of their Obamacare premiums subsidized by taxpayers for 2021.
- CBO estimates this provision would increase federal deficits by $4.5 billion over the 2021-2030 period.