U.S. SENATE —U.S. Senator Steve Daines today at a Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee hearing questioned Luke Russell, the Vice President of External Affairs at Hecla Mining Company, about the excessively long permitting process for the Montanore and Rock Creek projects located in Lincoln and Sanders Counties in Montana.
Watch the video HERE.
Download the video HERE.
Daines’ Work to Streamline Mining Permitting Process:
- On June 6th 2017, Daines questioned U.S. Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell on the progress of the Montanore Mine project.
- On September 7th 2017, Daines highlighted his concerns over the stalled mining projects in a letter to U.S. Forest Service Chief Tony Tooke.
- On September 28th 2017, Daines sent Secretary Purdue and Secretary Zinke a letter, urging the Administration to prioritize the approval process for the Rock Creek and Montanore Mines.
- The Montanore and Rock Creek projects produce two of only four world-class silver and copper deposits in the U.S
- The vetting process began in the early 1990s for Rock Creek Project and 2001 for the Montanore project