WASHINGTON, D.C. — Senator Steve Daines today applauded the overwhelming bipartisan passage of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which provides critical support for the nation’s military and national security.
“Montana is playing a critical role in meeting our nation’s security and military needs and this bill provides the support our men and women in uniform need to carry out their missions,” Daines stated. “The NDAA prioritizes the needs of our service members, while protecting the important role that Montana holds in our national defense. I urge President Obama to drop his veto threat and stand with Congress, the American people and our troops and quickly sign this critical legislation into law.”
Immediately following today’s overwhelming bipartisan vote, Daines called on Senate Democrats to stop blocking the Department of Defense Appropriations Act and fund the military.
“Today’s vote shows there is overwhelming bipartisan support to fund our troops,” Daines stated. “Given this, it is senseless that partisan politics continues to block funding for our troops. I urge Democrat Senators to put politics aside and do what’s right. Join me in supporting the Department of Defense Appropriations Bill.”
The NDAA provides much-needed support for Montana’s military missions, including:
- $19.7 million for the Tactical Response Force Alert Facility at Malmstrom.
- $4.26 million for an energy conservation project at Malmstrom
- Authorizes funding for AMP Increments I and II to ensure that our C-130s are able to stay in the air.
- Authorizes funding for C-130 engine modifications.
- It expresses the sense of the Congress that the nuclear triad plays a critical role in ensuring national security and that it is the policy of the U.S. to operate, sustain, and modernize or replace the triad and to operate and modernize or replace a capability to forward-deploy nuclear weapons and dual-cable fighter-bomber aircraft.